Friday 18 January 2013

SNOW DAYS

Sefton Park Palm House



Snow, I like snow, nothing better than a stroll through the park in a blizzard!
9.30 this morning saw me doing a bit of prep work for our ‘Big Garden Birdwatch' event at the Palm House at Sefton Park on Sunday, I’ll be expecting you…  
Liverpool RSPB has 3 bird tables in the Palm House gardens, we load them up before and during our events aiming to bring in the greatest variety of birds possible.  The gate appeared to be shut as I approached but a security guard ran out to let me in! I got the impression they weren’t expecting visitors, but then the park was empty except for the usual dog walkers and a few hardy joggers.
The park looked awesome in the falling snow; and a lot of my pics appear to be in black and white because of the conditions!




Snowy Sefton Park


Pleased to say there was lots of activity at the feeding station behind the glass house.  In  the pecking order: Blue , Gt and Long tailed tits, Nuthatches, Chaffinches, Blackbirds, Robins, Magpies, Pigeons, Ringed necked Parakeets x 4, Gt spotted woodpecker  and Grey Squirrels. All bodes well for Saturday’s walk and Sunday’s event.

Ring Necked Parakeet 1 of 4
Keet, Maggie and Woody


Moving on to the lakes to distribute some of Aldi's finest baked products.  4 Tufted ducks were new arrivals, little grebe at least 11 on the main lake.  Then hordes of hungry Mallard, Coot, Black headed gulls, Mute Swans, and Canadian Geese. If the Med gull and Mandarin were still there I didn’t see them, too cold for any extensive scanning, frozen fingers in my feeding hand told me it was time to press on. 

Hungry  beaks

I followed the stream past  frozen Eros and the cafe, and noticed a couple of walker’s intent on something in the reeds.  A slow approach was called for, good idea as I was rewarded with fab views of a Heron focused on catching his breakfast in the stream, normally these guys birds fly off as soon as you get near, but this one must have been really hungry and ignored me!
The Fisherman


Time to go home, but not before stopping on the main path to throw the last of my monkey nuts to the gang of crows that were probing the snowy fields adjacent.  Unbeknown to me Birder Mike was intent of taking shots of said birds, and I ended up in the picture, makes a change I guess …

Snapped, I was there!



Happy days
Bimo

No comments: