Saturday 12 January 2013

Liverpool One Woodcock

 
A quick phone call today stopped me in my tracks. 'We have a young fledgling snipe in a box' said Dave from Liverpool One.  So after a quick chat it was confirmed as a woodcock and instructions on how to park at L1. The subterranean level of Liverpool 1 is a very different place for birds but did have pigeons wandering around. With a high viz jacket on I headed off for the lift! Well the lift put me at the back doors of  various shops on the ground level but how do you get out! My wife has always said that my love of birds will get you in trouble and I was now wandering around in the bowels of Liverpool 1. A phone call and security were show me were I needed to be.
 
 A couple of minutes later and I had collected the box containing the woodcock and was heading back to my car. A few phone calls and some emails and it was time to head off to Court Hey Park. One of the phone calls was to the site ranger to inform her I would be releasing bird in her park. 
Woodcock fly into the UK from Scandinavia normally in November but this bird must have been escaping the cold front comming from the east. In an earlier blog there is a picture of a dead woodcock found in Dale street having crashed into a building so it was nice to see that this bird was full of life. If you look at the top part of its beak you will notice some blood. The beak is the most sensitive part of the bird and of course helps it to find its food....worms and stuff.
ANOTHER STRANGE REQUEST FOR A GROUP LEADER.
Chris