Friday 23 November 2012

Mixed Fortunes


I was very hopeful for Friday as it dawned dry and bright, and I was determined to put a rubbish week in work behind me.
I took myself off to Mab Lane in search of Store’s Kingfisher. Wrens, Blackbirds, Mallards, Goldfinches and various Tits were evident around the stream;  which appeared  very fetching as the frost evaporated from the grass and a mist hung over the water. After an hour I gave up and decided to have another crack at the Fountains Rd Waxies.  I made my way out to the road and decided to have a quick look through the bridge railings on the other side; here the Alt meanders it way towards Maghull. Would you believe it, a flash of turquoise signalled the Kingfisher taking flight downstream, alas there is no access to this part of the stream, unless I break into someone’s garden. Better luck next time. But there you go Stores, I never doubted you, but now its presence is definitely confirmed  J
Morning mist. River Alt, Mab lane,.Liverpool

Arriving at Fountains Rd, the weather looked on the change; the Waxwings were flitting about skittishly. I jumped out and took up point by the red post box, a large flock arrived, must have been over 100 thrushes (did you know the collective noun for Waxwings is an ear-full or museum!!)  Camera at the ready, disaster…white van parks up underneath the trees.
A lady gets out –awestruck, Waxies gone. I slink round the corner and wait, lady retreats to the van. Waxies eventually prrrrp back, I slink back to the post box, Waxies manoeuvring in on the few remaining golden berries.  Thud, that was the van door slamming shut.  Awestruck lady trotting over to me, ‘What are they?’  My reply ‘what the hell are you doing slamming the door!’ Waxies winging their way over St Athanius Church into deepest Walton.  Needless to say I told her what they were and where they came from. And no I didn’t invite her to join Liverpool RSPB because it was all I could do not to throttle her.
I was not to see the Waxies again as a venomous dark cloud positioned itself over Fountains Red and let loose it deluge. (Thanks Diane Oxberry- dry and bright?).  I sat in the car and waited; waited a little more then gave up.  Back home twenty minutes later I found solace in a large slice of carrot cake and a cup of Yorkshire.
You win some, you loose some, tomorrow's another day.

Footnote
Consolation prize, caught up with the Waxies at Milner St later on. Only 5 Waxwings, but not as skittish and seemed to be keeping the 2 twitchers with their very large lens happy.

Waxwing, Milner Street, Warrington

Very few berries left on those trees on Fountains Rd and on Milner Street. New venues needed, eyes and ears peeled folks.

Laura

2 comments:

RSPB Liverpool Local Group. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a registered charity: England and Wales no' 207076, Scotland no. SC037654 said...

Glad it has been shared by someone else, seen it many times through the railings but also down the other end coming from the pump house. Just a short walk from the pump house is some reeds, where the water rail hangs out, worth a look. Stores

Rob said...

Didn't see an earful of waxwing today, but did see a trinket of goldcrests, a charm of goldfinches, a murder of crows and a chattering of starlings. :)