Friday 1 February 2013

I could have stayed at home


I missed a trip out today to Burton Mere Wetlands with Tomo, another appointment in the morning sunk that idea. Must catch up with the Egrets, Merlin's, Harriers,Spotted Redshank, Bramblings and Water Rail soon. 
Dinner time with the weather closing in, saw me making a mad dash for New Brighton. Rob had reported a large flock of mixed waders on the pontoon -  "1 Ruff, 18 Purple Sandpiper, 310 Turnstone, 130 Dunlin and 1,200 Redshank on the pontoon at New Brighton pontoon. Can't have been much room left!"
We'd caught up with the purple Sandpipers at Christmas on a Local Group walk. Me thinks another looksy would be nice. 
I didn't count them but it was busy.

Mixed Waders, New Brighton Pontoon 01/02/13


A didn't linger, not even for cake & coffee, a thought  had entered my head..  A snap decision and I  was heading for Hoylake and the Kings Gap. (I'd missed the high tide wader watch  a few weeks before, had sulked a bit after hearing about the masses of swirling flicks, on the the tide line)  Fortunately I was in luck the tide appeared to be on its way out but there were plenty of birds on the shore. Small flocks of Dunlin went through toward Hilbre, and parked up along the shore further along  sadly, too far for my bins alas. But I was compensated by plenty of Oycs, Redshank, Curlew and  mixed Gulls, including some massive Gt Blacks.  Managed to get reasonably close to those sitting on the tide line by the life boat station. 
Oystercatchers
Aloft
Shelduck! and his mates

Ten minutes later I was running to the car, I was soaked  and I'd only been out an hour and half,  but I was glad I went.
Laura 



  

No comments: