Saturday 26 January 2013

BIG GARDEN BIRDWATCH

I think that 'big' might not be appropriate in my case either for the size of my garden or the numbers of birds that decided to share my territory for one hour today.  I settled down, having filled up the feeders, mug of tea to hand, bins at the ready and bird guide in preparation for all the rarities that were bound to fly into Chez Jonesy.  Yesterday I had 24 Goldfinches in one of my trees; Blue, Great, Coal and Long-tailed tits in the silver birch and a Mistle thrush wandering around the lawn.  And what did I have today?  Not a lot!!!

My (sad) total comprised Blackbird, Collared Dove, Dunnock, Goldfinch (1 solitary little bird!), Magpie, Starling, Robin, Woodpigeon and the only real surprise for my garden, 2 Jackdaws.  However, quantity is not everything.  It was an incredibly relaxing hour and fascinating to watch the behaviour of individuals and the interactions of multiple birds.  One male Blackbird was chasing a female for all his worth and she was doing her best "Get packing mate" moves!

So, another day, another dollar ... or perhaps another day, another bird.  No doubt the rest of you will have totted up huge numbers of species.  Great to see that RSPB Burton Mere have 'liked' our blog on Facebook :)

Jen

2 comments:

RSPB Liverpool Local Group. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a registered charity: England and Wales no' 207076, Scotland no. SC037654 said...

The important thing Peaty, is you took part and you shared the experience with us!
Thanks
Laura

moorepatcher said...

Yay, so this is watcha bin up to my soily chum Me likey ! Mark X